I knew when I first started up the furnace that there was a problem with it. The whole house reeked of burnt hair. There was a great deal of dust floating around and the heating system was rather noisy. It made a rattling sound every time it started up. I should have called for professional repair immediately. I planned to do it, but I got busy with other things and simply forgot. My father suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital. My husband was away from home, traveling for his job, and my three kids were all just getting back to school. We had to go shopping for new clothes and supplies, and there were sign-ups for all of their sports teams. Plus, the hot water heater ruptured and flooded the basement. I needed to hire a licensed plumber to replace the water heater, and then I attacked the damage and cleanup in the basement. In all of the chaos, the furnace was neglected. Unfortunately, at this same time, the weather was unusually cold. It snowed earlier than usual, and the outside temperature dropped down to thirty degrees. There was no choice but to run the furnace. I realized that it was running for extremely long cycles but struggling to keep the house warm. I still did nothing about it until the furnace completely quit. Since it failed in the middle of the night, I got stuck paying a higher fee for overtime service. Fortunately, the HVAC technician was able to repair the furnace. He told me that the malfunction was caused by a buildup of dust within the inner workings and could easily have been avoided with professional maintenance in the fall. Neglecting the care of the furnace ended up costing me a lot of money.